File a Trust Companies Complaint

an older woman talking on a cell phone outdoors on a bench

BCFSA is responsible for regulating the operations of trust companies in British Columbia.

To learn about BCFSA’s processes for handling complaints and inquiries related to matters within our authority, please review the information on this page.

  • BCFSA is responsible to ensure incorporated trust businesses are appropriately authorized and able meet their financial obligations. BCFSA also has regulatory oversight of incorporated trust companies in the marketplace.

  • BCFSA is responsible for the regulation of trust companies incorporated in British Columbia. Our responsibilities are to:

    • Ensure that trust business carried out by corporations is properly authorized;
    • Supervise trust corporations and address solvency concerns with their operations; and
    • Oversee and address statutory market conduct issues.

    If you are unsure whether your trust company is authorized by BCFSA, check the list of regulated trust companies.

Before Filing a Complaint

If you have a complaint about a trust company, you can follow these steps to address your concerns:

  1. Contact the trust company to bring the issue to the attention of the Chief Executive Officer.
  2. Bring the matter to the attention of the Board of Directors.

At any time during this process, you can contact the BCFSA to file a complaint. We will not be able to mediate on a consumer’s behalf. However, we can help you obtain a clear response from the trust company. The complaints we receive can also help to monitor and identify systemic issues in the marketplace.

Additional information
  • If your concern involves any legal matter you may consider obtaining legal advice. You can contact the Lawyer Referral Service of the BC branch of the Canadian Bar Association at (604) 687-3221 or toll free at (800) 663-1919.
  • File a Complaint Online

    Please complete the BCFSA Credit Union and Trust Company Complaint Form. Include copies of all related documentation with your complaint. This includes copies of correspondence to and from the trust company. Please also ensure your concerns and expectations for resolution are clearly stated.

    File a Complaint
  • In order to address your complaint, some or all of the complaint details may be sent to the financial institution. This allows the financial institution the opportunity to provide a complete response to the issue for our review.

    Allegations of any sort of misconduct should be accompanied by any available evidence to allow us to begin an inquiry. If such evidence cannot be provided, our ability to conduct any type of review of the matter may be limited.

    Please note that the Freedom of Information Act and Protection of Personal Information Act applies to BCFSA records and information.

    What if a Complaint Falls Outside of BCFSA’s Authority?

    We do not generally get involved in individual disputes about business decisions, service quality, legal, civil and/or contractual matters. Resolving individual disputes with trust companies is the responsibility of the court system.

    If a complaint involves an issue about a financial institution which BCFSA regulates but is a matter which does not generally fall within our authority, you can still submit your complaint. You will receive correspondence acknowledging we have received your complaint, but no inquiry will be conducted. The complaint will be logged and kept in our file.

phone icon
Phone Us

Monday to Friday

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

(604) 660-3555
(866) 206-3030

Mail: 600-750 West Pender Street

Vancouver BC

V6C 2T8 Canada